NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Conductors

Question:
Hello, my name is Michael Katz-Hyman and I am doing a science project on conductors. I was wondering what is the best conductor?

If you mean solid substances at room temperature, silver. Otherwise, one of the superconductors, but I do not know which.

christopher grayce

Well, this is outside of my field but if I recall correctly the best pure element conductor at room temperature is silver -- with copper and gold doing pretty well also. The reason for all the qualifiers is that conductivity is a function of temperature as well as the chemical makeup of a substance. You have probably heard of superconductors which are the superstars of conductivity -- perfect conductors of current -- but only at low temperatures (more than 150 degrees below zero). An interesting aside is that during WWII silver became very scarce in the US because the government used large quantities of it for wire at, believe, Oakridge National Laboratory. Copper was not good enough for this particular application.

gregory r bradburn