NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Electric Field Intensity

Question:
When we were asked to solve for the electric field intensity we used the formula E = V/d. Then we had the question, what happens to the electric field intensity if we double the charge. The answer was the electric field intensity doubles since E and Q are proportional. THEN the question asked what if we double the plate distance? The answer given is there would be no change in the electric field intensity. WHY/? DOES THE PLATE DISTANCE HAVE NO EFFECT ON THE ELECTRIC FIELD INSTENSITY//??

In the first place, you must notice that your statements are only true for a parallel plate condenser. So the question is, how does one calculate the electric field between two charged parallel plates? The next question is, when I know the electric field somewhere, how do I calculate the voltage difference between two points in the electric field. These are all related matters, so I hope that you will start looking for the connections.