NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Eclipse Sunset

Question:
I thought I understood the reason for sunset colors. However, when viewing a video of an eclipse, I noticed that the sky turned sunset colors on the horizon just prior to the eclipse. Since the rays are going through the same amount of atmosphere as they were a few moments before why would the colors change?

Before the eclipse, light striking your eye from the DIRECTION of the horizon has not traveled the long path from the horizon. Much of that light came vertically through the atmosphere and was scattered into the horizontal direction. When the vertical intensity is reduced, you see more of the light that traveled over a long horizontal path.