NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Microwave Radiation

Question:
How can I measure how much radiation is being emitted by my microwave oven? How much microwave radiation is too much?

Microwaves are absorbed by water and other molecules present in the air. Therefore it is unlikely that the microwave oven does anything harmful. But I jasjeet s bagla

I have measured leakage from hundreds of microwave ovens, using very expensive equipment designed for just that purpose. I have found only one that leaked significantly, and that one had been vandalized and was obviously badly damaged. Microwave ovens are designed NOT to leak, and they almost never do. Furthermore, it can be shown that the exposure of a person an arm's length away from even a badly leaking oven will get, I mean be, fairly low compared to exposure standards. Most occupational and environmental health scientists do not consider microwave ovens to be a hazard. Measurement is tricky. You can buy cheap ($10 or so) devices in hardware stores that claim to make such measurements, but I am skeptical of their value. If you are very clever, you probably could rig an antenna and a diode detector, and couple that to a meter...but how would(typo) would you calibrate it? One of the reasons that instruments that really work are so expensive, is that they are hard to design and make. Also, do not be mislead by the fact that radio or tv receivers may respond to an operating oven -- what they are detecting is likely the "hash" created by their power supplies or the scr or triac in their power circuit.