NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Electrical Fruit Power

Question:
A student in 7th grade is interested in "Electrical Fruit." Can an experiment be designed to see if current can be produced through fruit? Can a fruit be used in place of a battery? If so, can a comparison be set up vs. battery power?

I found a couple of very brief articles in the "Journal of Chemical Education", one from Feb. 1988, the other from Feb. 1992. The earlier one is titled "A Homemade Lemon Battery". It claims that, using a galvanized nail and a penny for the two "terminals", you can get a potential difference of about 1 volt from a lemon. This article describes a classroom demo where several "lemon batteries" in series, along with a capacitor to accumulate charge, were used to set off a flash cube. The other article, titled "A Lemon-Powered Clock", claims that a series pair of lemon batteries can be used to power a quartz watch (the authors say you can get only 0.6 - 0.7 volt from a lemon battery.) They claim that you can do this with oranges and potatoes as well. I wonder if apples would also work -- they contain a very weak acid called malic acid. This article says that, besides copper and zinc (the galvanized nail), magnesium and iron may be used for the two metal terminals. Another book I looked in suggests that you roll the lemons between your hands before using them; I presume that this is to release more lemon juice from the tissues.

rcwinther