NEWTON Home Page Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week NEWTON Teachers Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Referencing NEWTON Frequently Asked Questions About Ask A Scientist About NEWTON Education At Argonne Dielectric Constant and Conductivity Relationship

Name: Mahi
Grade: 12+
Country: India

Question:
I wanted to know, how are dielectric constant and conductivity are related. I read that conductivity appears in the imaginary part of the permittivity, but is their any way they are related to each other without the real part of permittivity influencing dielectric constant?

Hi Mahi

From dictionary.com: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dielectric?s=t

1. a nonconducting substance; insulator. 2. a substance in which an electric field can be maintained with a minimum loss of power

So in summary, a dielectric should impede conductivity.

Sincere regards, Mike Stewart

Hi Mahi,

Thanks for the question. The dielectric constant and conductivity are not related in simple models that we teach in our introductory courses. The dielectric constant measures the ability of a medium to surround, shield, and disperse a net electric charge that is present. The conductivity is the reciprocal of the resistance and measures the ability of a material to conduct charge. The permittivity is proportional to the dielectric constant.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell