NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bomb Speed

Name: David

Question:
Yesterday I was watching a program on WWII in which they dropped bunker buster bombs (from 4 miles up) near a heavily fortified bunker from which they were launching U2 rockets. The walls were 12 ft thick and conventional bombs had no affect. The idea was for the bomb to imbed itself underground and explode. It worked beautifully! It was 12,000 pounds! My question revolves around the fact that they said the bomb reached 2,500 MPH. Is this possible? I am familiar with the basics of terminal velocity/physics, but have never heard of anything free falling that fast.

David, a little internet searching revealed several references to rocket-assisted bombs in WWII. In other words, these speeds were not reached by freefall, but by using rockets to propel the bomb downward. Basically, a solid-fuel rocket was fitted onto the bomb, and it was dropped from high altitude - over 22,000 feet. This allowed it to reach near-Mach-3 speeds.

I am not posting links because I could not find authoritative sources. However, if you do some searching for Disney Bomb, you may find specifications that are similar to what you heard on the program.

Hope this helps, Burr Zimmerman