NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Photon Acceleration and Constant Speed of Light

Name: David
Country: Australia

Question:
One of my students showed me a paper which he found on your site

http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/JCEWWW/Articles/DynaPub/DynaPub.html

His question is that if a photon does accelerate when it comes into existence is its acceleration relative to a fixed point different if it is coming towards that point or away? Thus it is not at a constant speed to all observers which breaks a fundamental law?

David, A photon does not accelerate when it comes into existence. Things do not have to be still when it appears. Before the photon exists, you can neither say it is still nor moving. It is not even there. When it appears, it is already moving. Its speed is part of its existence.

Dr. Ken Mellendorf Physics Instructor Illinois Central College