NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Measuring Buoyancy by Displacement
Name: Gabby

Question:
I am doing a project that you have to get 3 different types of cans (1 cola, 1 diet cola, and a lemonade). Then you need a big fish tank with water in there and then you drop the different cans in and see if they sink or float. So I was wondering how do I measure the buoyancy?

Take a smaller container and fill it totally with water and place it on top of a pan. Place the can in the container, allowing for the water to overflow. Measure the weight of the water that overflowed. That weight is the buoyant force.

--Nathan A. Unterman