NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Photons and Entanglement
Name: Sean

Question:
Could the photon really be two particles in a state of entanglement, and the distance between the two particles would be the frequency of that "beam" ie: when the particles are super close together it would be akin to a gamma ray, and as the distance between increases so would the type of beam?

Sean,

The best answer I can tell you is that there is no experimental evidence to suggest this scenario. Not only do we not see any experimental evidence of such a scenario, but such a model would not fit into a myriad of other observations. Beyond that, the energy does not add up (the energy of a gamma ray is much, much larger than two or even 2000 photons). Also, just from a basic math standpoint, the units would not add up -- a distance (units of length) cannot be a wavelength (units of inverse time).

There is a lot left to discover in Physics, But as far as I know, a photon is still considered a massless packet of energy. Please see:

http://physics.about.com/od/lightoptics/f/photon.htm

I did a Google search on Photon Entanglement and up came this Wikipedia description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon_entanglement
Wikipedia is pretty good in presenting the latest theories But this article on "Photon Entanglement" is about the interaction of two photons and their polarization, not two particles within the photon.

But keep thinking about it. You might be the one who works this out.

Sincere regards,

Mike Stewart