NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Measuring Energy Output
Name: John

Question:
Hi How can I measure the total joules, per minute, from an led floodlight bulb? I realize it changes as the distance grows. Would a regular light meter help with this?

John,

It is Joules per minute per square-meter that changes, not Joules per minute. The Watt rating of the bulb is the Joules per SECOND. Divide this by the area at a specific distance over which the light falls. For a standard light bulb, the light is emitted in a spherical pattern: divide by 4(pi)(radius^2). If the floodlight emits in only one direction, you will have to estimate what portion of the spherical surface is involved. A light meter usually measures such a quantity. As color and light reflected from walls can affect what a light meter reads, the meter only provides an estimate. Of course, the calculation is also an estimate.