NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Radiation From Earth
Name: Josh

Question:
My questions is what types of natural radiation are emitted by the earth? I have heard something about infrared, ultraviolet and possibly terahertz, but I am not sure what they are or what they do. If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

The wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation is very complicated. It depends upon many factors: longitude/latitude, day vs. night, cloud cover, wavelength to mention just a few variables. The general term that you can "Google search" is "Earth's albedo". "Albedo" is the general term for radiation that is reflected (or originates) from a planet, in your question "Earth". There is a lot of information, because it is highly studied, but it is pretty complicated because of all of the parameters that affect the albedo.