NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Atomic Test Films
Name: Donald
Location: DC

Question:
Where can I find information on the technology used in the cameras that were used to film the early atomic tests in the Pacific? I read that some of the cameras used at the "Mike" test of the first fusion device ran at 3.5 million frames per second effective speed. That is astounding. I would like to learn more. Thanks!

I am not sure where you would find out info about optical cameras, but in the book: "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" the author Richard Rhodes mentions "...flash X-ray equipment--high current X-ray tubes that pulsed as rapidly as every ten-millionth of a second--proved most useful for detonation-wave studies." page 573. Chapter 13 of the same book, entitled "Trinity" pg. 617ff. describes the first atomic test and mentions high speed photography and other high speed data acquisition (pg. 671ff.), but "how fast" was not fully quantified, but certainly in the millisecond time scale.