NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Stationary Charge and Relativity
Name: Noah S.

Question:
Does a stationary charge in a gravitational field radiate? If not, doesn't this violate the equivalence principle of general relativity?

Probably mostly correct:

I have discussed this with the local expert on general relativity. It is a well-known problem which is extremely subtle and probably not fully understood by anyone. Their are refereed publications in reputable journals on this topic which my local expert believes are incorrect.

Apparently a charge held stationary relative to an accelerating space ship will radiate, but a charge help stationary in an equivalent gravitational field will NOT radiate and this does NOT violate the Principle of Equivalence!

This paradox is, I believe, related to the difficulty in defining radiation and means of detecting it, but I am not expert in this area and certainly do not understand this paradox which, I am told, is probably the most subtle and difficult to understand paradox in all of relativity.

Best, Dick Plano