NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Measuring Unknown Strobe Rate
Name: Reade W.

Question:
How can I measure the flash rate of a strobe light at its full pulse rate, because the box does not say the exact flash rate per second and that is what i need for my current experiment dealing with projectile motion of a soccer ball, which we will be recording on a video camera while with a strobe light, flashing to break up the motion... so how can i find out my flash rate per second of my strobe light?

You can take an object and drop it along a scale while photographing it under the flash condition.

The amount of fall is y = y initial +v initial * time + 0.5 g t^2 Since the first two terms are zero, you measure y off the image, and you know g, you can solve for t.

---Nathan A. Unterman