NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Matter Antimatter Abundances
Name: Deanna Koh X.

Question:
Some people say that matter would have out-numbered anti-matter (hence after annihilating there would still be excess matter), but how it this possible?

It is not known why matter is apparently the only "stuff" of the Universe. Cosmological theories (to the extent that I understand them) would predict that the "Big Bang" would produced equal amounts of each. I have not seen any "explanation" of why matter won out over anti-matter. One "explanation" says it was a random fluctuation, and once that started everything followed like knocking down a row of dominos. Other cosmologists reject that idea as being nonsense, and that there is some, as yet unknown, asymmetry between matter and anti-matter hat is the cause. The mystery remains.

To expand a bit on your question, there is a lot that is not well understood (or not understood at all) about how the Universe works. For example, gravity, the wave-particle duality of atomic and sub-atomic particles, what 'time' is, and anti-matter. The equations describing anti-matter are the same for matter and anti-matter if you accept the notion that time can be negative. If you are interested in investigating your question further, I recommend "Schroedinger's Kittens" by Gribbon. It is not mathematical but accurately describes the results of "state of the art" view of quantum mechanics, which is at the heart of what is not understood.