NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Water Vapor and Steam
Name: Robert
Date: Thursday, August 22, 2002

Question:
Dear sir,

I was taught in my high school physics class, while experimenting with a whistler type tea kettle, that steam is the invisible matter that exits at the hole and a fraction of an inch later it cools, condenses and is just water vapor. My daughter's Third Grade teacher told her this is wrong and that the portion that you can see is steam. If you can help settle this, I would appreciate it greatly.

Water vapor (steam) is colorless, and the gas that is IMMEDIATELY outside of the kettle spout.

The "cloud" or mist is water vapor that has condensed into liquid. It often takes on a foggy appearance.

---Nathan A. Unterman