NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Creating an Electric Field
Name: Brian S.
Age: 30s.

Question:
I wish to create a lab with a a small pith ball and an E-field. I would like to suspend a pith ball in an E-field and watch it deflect like a pendulum and measure the angle.

My problem is how can I create an E-field? any ideas?

Take an aluminum pie pan and tape an insulator handle (wood or plastic) to the inside as a handle. Charge up a latex balloon with fur. Transfer the charge from the balloon to the pan. That should work. If you have an electrophorous instead of a balloon, that will work, too.

Unknown