NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Mechanical to Chemical Transfer
Name: James M.

Question:
What is an example of a mechanical to chemical energy conversion I could demonstrate to my students?

Some examples come to mind: 1. Stirring is a mechanical action that promotes countless chemical reactions. It is so common we do not even think about it. 2. The friction caused by scratching causing a match to ignite. A similar application is the spark igniter used to light propane torches. 3. More sophisticated, pressure applied to a membrane separates pure water from saline water. 4. Numerous chemical reactions where the number of moles of gaseous reactants and products are not zero respond to a changes in pressure.

James,

I can think of a fairly simple one involving a hand generator and a rechargeable battery. Be sure the generator puts out DC current. A diode inserted wisely can be a quick solution if you have AC generators. Start with the battery uncharged. Convert mechanical(hand) to electrical(current) to chemical(battery).

If you do not want the electrical part, I would look toward toys. I have seen toys that respond to pressure by changing color. By exerting the pressure to squeeze the toy, you exert mechanical energy. This in turn changes the color of a material: a chemical reaction of some sort. When the material is allowed to expand, the chemical energy changes back to mechanical energy (the toy pushing your finger away).