NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Neutrinos and Gravity
Name: Justin L.

Question:
Could gravity be the effect of neutrinos? I know that, in stars, the energy released was not as much as predicted mathematically, and that we were able to detect tiny neutrinos as the source of that missing energy(I think!) I know that neutrinos BARELY react with matter, but the DO once in a while. So could the force of gravity ACTUALLY be the effects of the millions and millions of neutrinos pushing down on us? Like, if you have these particles pushing down on all sides, and say you are standing on the earth, some of the neutrinos are deflected as they pass THROUGH the earth, not many, but some. So there are less pushing at your from below than there are from above. Not much less, but less. Could this be what gravity really is? Instead of some graviton we can't detect? Is gravity actually a PUSH, not a PULL?

If you are going to come up with a new theory of gravity, then it is your job to explain how this theory accounts for phenomena explained by the old theory. for example, how would neutrino pressure cause planets to orbit the sun?

Not very likely. It is known experimentally that neutrinos interact with other types of matter only at very short distances -- of the order of the size of atomic nuclei and smaller. But gravity is a long range force interacting with matter over very large distances. So it is difficult to see how the short range could be converted into a long range interaction.