NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Paul Davies and Energy
Name: Robert B.

Question:
What was the first particle, energy, or definition of zero energy. I have read a small section by Paul Davies on Zero energy and how the universe is made up of negative energy (the gravitational field) and the positive energy (matter) but what physical process started the divergence and how did energy divide into + and negative.

I am not very familiar with Davies "theories"; however, his ideas strike me as incompatible with conventional physics and cosmology. It has some of the traits of voodoo science. For example, that gravity consists of "negative energy" is not well defined. In what sense does this make sense? The more radical the theory, the more liability the proponents have to provide experimental evidence for it. I have not seen much experimental evidence. I am just not a true believer.