NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Woody and Steelie Rolly Coasters
Name: Ma. Aurora F.

Question:
There are lots of physics principles applied in the roller coaster. I would like to know how they differ in wooden and steel coasters. I would also like to know how our body response while in the ride.

Great Questions!

The physiological responses do not depend on the material of the roller coaster.

Wooden and steel roller coasters differ in:

1. Feel (woodies have many sub accelerations between supporting members, making for a bumpy ride).

2. Cost of construction.

3. Cost of upkeep.

4. Precision of construction.

5. Response to weather.

---Nathan A. Unterman