NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Light Speed Uncertainty
Name:  William K.

Question:
The speed of light has been measured for centuries, and each research group has reported a central value and an uncertainty about this value. I believe that it has been common for each>successive measurement, with significantly smaller error bar than the previous, to _not_ fall within the error bar of the previous group. I believe I once saw a graphic of a set of numbers showing this sequence of several dozen non-overlapping ranges for c.

Is this story true? Regardless, has anyone actually collected the successively accepted value for c with error ranges? Where might I find this talley?

This is a favorite "proof" put forward by Creationists to support some of their positions regarding the literal historic nature of Genesis. Despite the fact that serious attempts to measure the speed of light for a couple of hundred years and it would be hardly long enough to see any change if there were one.

If you do a search on google.com search engine for "speed of light history" you can follow the ins and outs of the pros & cons.