NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne UV and Glass
Name:  JeffL
Age: old

Question:
I have been asked to give a science presentation to a 5th grade class. I have been thinking of demonstrating a Jacob's Ladder as part of it. My question is whether the UV energy emitted will potentially cause harm to the viewer's eyes. If so, will an ordinary piece of glass block the UV emissions? How thick should it be?

Jeff,

Ordinary window glass is not very transparent to UV light. On the other hand, viewing the spark discharges from a Jacob's Ladder is not likely to be all that harmful if the exposure is relatively brief. Actually, there is a greater danger posed to one's vision from a full day outdoors on a clear sunny day.

ProfHoff