NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Wavelength and Light Properties
Name:  Thomas B.
Status:  student
Age:  20s

Question:
My question is this: The electromagnetic spectrum contains, among other things, visable light...An object of zero rest mass in wave/particle duality theory. If it is a measure of wavelength, does it contain electrons also wave/particles?

Hmmm. I don't quite understand your question here. Are you asking if electrons have a wave nature? If so, the answer is yes.

And second if energy is fast mass (E=mc2) couldn't we place massed objects on that spectrum? Where each object has a distinct wavelength. (neutrons, protrons, or at least, strong and weak forces...)

Not really. Just because something has a wavelength doesn't mean it is light. The wavelength of a wave/particle is a function of its kinetic energy, by Planck's relation E = hv, (v is the Greek letter nu, the frequency), E is the kinetic energy, and h is Planck's constant, one of the fundamental constants of physics. So indeed each object has a wavelength, but it isn't constant.

Wouldn't it be fun to think everything may be made of light? (or light and everything are the same ) Could Einstein be right, with his Ether medium of light waves? could't everything be the jiggle and "dance" of this juice?

My knowledge of physics is insufficient to answer these questions definitively.