NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Reverse Gravity?
Name: James 

Question:
If every action has an equal and opposite reaction, then I think the pull of gravity can be reversed somehow. anyone agree?

James -

Sorry, I do not agree. However, forces always come in pairs. When gravity pulls you and the earth together there are two forces. The earth pulls on you and you pull on the earth. However, because you have so much less mass, you move lots. The earth being so massive moves very little. Are you familiar with F=ma? Or, more useful here a = F/m. The F (force) is the same on both you and the earth, but you are dividing by very different m's... so you get very different a's.

Hope that helps.