NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Roller Blades
Name:  Brandon L.
Status:  student
Age:  9

Question:
Why does the size of a ball or wheel have to do with its speed? For example on rollerblades sometimes the wheels are small and others are big. My friend said it is because the size of the wheel can make it go faster or slower...is that true?

Brandon,

Within the operational limits of rollerblade wheels, I do not think size has much to do with speed. However, larger wheels would make the rollerblades less sensitive to irregularities in the pavement. Look how easily your bike wheels can bounce up and over a curb. You sure would not want to try that on a set of rollerblades.

ProfHoff