NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gravity Data Source
Name: angela

Question:
I am looking for "acceleration due to gravity". my phsyics teacher told us to look for "acceleration due ot gravity" or "gravimetry". we need to find the gravitational pull of Rockville, MD. i have looked everywhere!!!!! please help!!!!!!!!

Here are two URL's that might help:

The gravity section of the National Geophysical Data Center web pages.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/potfld/gravity/welcome.shtml

The US Geological Survey web page

http://geology.usgs.gov/index.shtml

The Handbook of Chemistry and Physics has the information you are looking for. Keywords are Virtual Gravity and acceleration by geometric altitude.

The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is the ultimate book for this type of information.

www.hbcpnetbase.com/CRCBook/

---Nathan A. Unterman

angela: sorry, but I did not even know that they published the precise gravity of a city....what I do know is that if you are in the mountains, the gravitational pull on you is less -- so you are 'lighter'. If you were in a valley, the pull would be more -- so you would be 'heavy'. The accepted value for 'g' is 9.8 meters per second-squared. You might try going to www.nsf.org (the National Science Foundation) and search from there. Good luck.

Katie Page