NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Zero Point Energy
Name: LB

Question:
Would Zero-Point Energy be a better source of power than Antimatter?

Zero-point energy, the kinetic energy of a particle in its lowest quantum state, is a lousy source of energy. In fact, it's no source of energy at all. Since the object is already in its lowest quantum state, it's impossible to make it give up any of its energy. It would have no states of lower energy available to it!

The only way would be to "open up" the particle's potential function, to give it new states of lower potential energy. I don't know if anyone has any ideas of how to do this; it might be possible, but I can't imagine how it could be practical.

I can't imagine how antimatter could be practical, either. But perhaps sometime in the future, a source of antimatter can be found, as well as a means to contain it until it is used for generating energy. Certain;y, it's well beyond current technical capabilities.

No, although neither seem promising at present.

No. There would be no way to extract the zero point energy from a molecule in order to use it.

Dr. Bradburn