NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Speed of Gravity
Name: Unknown

Question:
I was curious if Gravity has a speed? What I mean is, if the Sun was to immediately disappear, how long would it take for the Earth and other planets to veer off course.

Is gravity an instant source?

Gravitational effects propagate at the same speed as light, at least in vacuum.