NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Earth-Moon Transmission
Name: Patty

Question:
I would like to know how long does information takes to arrive to the earth from the moon. I mean if I talk with a transmisor from the moon how many time after i talked, the voice arrive to the earth.... voice or video.

Just take the distance to the moon (which I think off the top of my head is 250,000 miles) please verify these numbers yourself! And the speed of light (lets use 189,000 miles/second) so then all you need to do is divide the distance by the speed, or:

(250,000 miles)/(189,000 miles/second) = 1.32 seconds for a one way trip (approximately-check speed of light and distance to the moon!)

This does not matter if it is a voice or video, they both travel at the same speed.

Unknown

Electromagnetic waves carrying information (data, voice, etc.) travel at the speed of light. If I remember my numbers correctly, it takes light just over a second to travel from the moon to the earth.

AK

Dr. Ali Khounsary
Advanced Photon Source
Argonne, IL 60439