NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Watts Conversion
Name: charlie
Age: old

Question:
I would like to know the power(in watts) of a transformer that has an output of 13.5 Volts and 1000 ma (milliamps)

I intend to purchase this unit to drive a TV set in my camper. The TV draws approx. 80 watt.

Thanx much. Charlie A.

The formula for conversion is W = V * A.

This means W = 13.5 * 1000/1000 = 13.5 Wats.

Since you need 80 watts, you will burn out your transformer very quickly if you draw that much power from it. You really need a transformer that is capable of delivering 7 Amps or more. Most transformers can't do this.

Thanks,

--Eric Tolman Computer Scientist

The power from the transformer is the voltage (13.5V)times the current (1000ma or 1 Amp). This is 13.5 Volts, this would not be enough power for your TV, the current would be sufficient however. The current drawn by the TV at 120V is 80/120 or 0.67 amps (670ma).

Dr. Myron

To find the Wattage the formula is voltage times the current. So 1 Amp times 13.5 volts is 13.5 Watts.

Dr. Tieman

This transformer isn't going to do it. The power (in Watts) is the product of the output voltage (in V, 13.5 V for you) and the output current (in Amps, in your case 1.000). This transformer will only handle 13.5 V.

Dr. Bradburn