NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bacteria Survival in the Stomach

Name: Lianne

Question:
Is H. Pylorii the only bacteria able to survive the acidic condition of the stomach, or are there others?

Hi Lianne,

Thanks for the question. Yes, other bacteria are able to survive the acidic conditions in the stomach. For instance, the bacteria that are present in acidopholus yougurt (and milk) are able to survive the stomach's acid and to repopulate the large intestine. These acidopholus bacteria are "good" bacteria and are useful in restoring bacterial colonies in the large intestine after a treatment of antibiotics.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff

I don’t know, but I would be very surprised given the number of bacterial species, that H. Pylori is uniquely adapted to low pH environments.

Very good question. Many bacteria have specialized cell membranes that can withstand low pH, and some eve form a protective cyst-like covering to protect them against the distructive pHs. Keep in mind that low pH in the digestive system is primarily for protein digestion and the bactereia cell membrane is not protein based. That said, there are many bacteria that are destroyed in the stomach.