NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Virus Fusing or Mutating Together

Name: Jarrard
Grade: 12+
Location: KY

Question:
Would it be possible for certain viruses to mutate or fuse together?

Hi Jarrard, Thanks for the question. Yes, it is possible for viruses to mutate. In fact, mutations in HIV are the reason why it is so hard to develop anti-viral agents to fight HIV infections. Yes, viruses can "fuse" together. In this process, a bacteria becomes infected with two different viruses and new virions (virus particles) are produced. A small percentage of these virions have genetic material from both of the original viruses. In fact, this "fusion" is used in the study of bacterial genetics. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff