NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Virus Functioning
Name: Glencia
Grade:  Other
Location: Other
Date: October 2008

Question:
How do you stop a virus from working?

You Don't. There are very few drugs that have anti-viral activity. The human body stops them by producing antibodies that inactivate them.

Ron Baker, Ph.D

Hi Glenica,

There are two main parts of a virus: a protein coat and nucleic material (DNA or RNA). The protein coat protects the virus' DNA or RNA. To stop a virus from working, you can attack either of these. If the DNA or RNA is damaged enough, the virus can't replicate. If the coat is damaged, then the DNA and RNA can be broken down by things that are already in the environment. There are lots of ways to damage the virus, including physical (for example, shear) and chemical (for example, bleach) means.

If you're talking about a virus that's already inside your body, then it gets harder. You can't drink bleach, and you can't blend your insides. Now you have to use tricky biochemical methods, which are much more complicated. Also, there are inactive virus particles that don't work (don't replicate), but are still intact enough for your body to recognize them as a virus.

Since I don't know what level of student you are, I'll stop here. Let me know if you want more technical information.

Burr

If you can prevent a virus from spreading from one host to another you can prevent it from functioning. Viruses must live inside of living cell. To get copied and passed on it must use the host cell.

Vanhoeck