NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Hair and Genetics
Name: Jessica
Grade:  9-12
Location: OH
Date: February 2008

Question:
When I was smaller I had bright blond hair that was bleached from the sunlight. But when I moved up to Ohio it turned a dark blonde. As you know, the sunlight acts like bleach to hair. However, if the sunlight has broken down the chemicals in the hair how can hair turn a darker color? Can hair eventually regenerate from such torture?

I tell my students that everyone assumes that when you are born you are "finished". One of the traits that changes as you age is your hair color. Very few people who are born with very light hair end up having that same color as adults. Melanin deposition in your hair follicles continues as you age. It was probably a coincidence that it happened as you moved. Yes, your hair does lighten when you spend a lot of time in the sun, or chlorine can do nasty things to your hair color if you spend a lot of time in the pool. But in general, it was probably just time and age that has darkened your hair.