NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cat and Dog Combination
Name: Betty
Grade:  6-8
Location: VA
Date: September 2006

Question:
Someone announced that he had heard of a successful cross between a dog and a cat, and I cannot seem to find any information about this on the internet. It is my understanding that this would not be possible except by genetic engineering due to the differences in chromosomes. Can you enlighten me?

Impossible.

Many years ago it was announced in some papers that a successful cross between a cat and dog had been accomplished. This was a hoax. The two species are not close enough evolutionarily to make this cross successful. As we are finding in molecular biology, it seems that everything is possible with living organisms, so maybe sometime in the distant future, it may be possible.