NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Cloning People
Name: Angel
Grade:  6-8
Location: MD
Date: January 2006

Question:
Why do scientists want to clone people?

I don't think "scientists" want to clone people. There are probably a few people who would wish to do so...but they are not necessarily "scientists".

pf

Angel,

This topic has huge ethical issues with just about everyone. Cloning the whole person does not seem to be of any use.

There could be benefits to repairing tissues if you could take your own cells and make a new ear by cloning for example. A human ear has been cloned using mice.

http://www.globalchange.com/clone_index.htm

This is not cloning the whole person, but if you could use your very own cells to replace tissues, your body will not reject them and they will fit perfectly into the person's body design. We are not to the point where we can produce a new heart or other organs, but with stem cell and cloning research, we may be able to see this in the next century or so. I have to point out that science is not able to do any of this today, but with current research we are beginning to understand how the body is able to develop tissues and organs in the right places and in coordination with other tissues.

The public opinion may not permit any of this to happen, but it does seem possible someday to be able to replace arms, fingers, and maybe even hearts; and this would be done by cloning these particular parts.

I don't think very many scientists want to clone people. What some would like to be able to do is clone certain organs that could be used as replacement parts for diseased or damaged organs.

I'm sure there a few unethical scientists that would like to be able to clone a person so they could charge some rich person a lot of money to satisfy their egotistical desire to reproduce themselves.

Ron Baker, Ph.D.