NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Basil Body and Centriole
Name: Hap S.
Date: December 2004

Question:
Dear Sir, I am a teacher. I have been preparing a lesson about centriole, cilia and flagella. I have a doubt about basal body. I want to make sure that whether basal body and centriole are the same thing? Another question is: Centrioles are one of the components of the centrosome or centrosome is just an area surround the centriole?

Cilia are organized (assembled) from centrioles located at the cell margin...these are then called basal and are a specialized form of centrioles.

The centrosome, or the microtubule organizing center, is usually considered an AREA in the cell where microtubles are assembled. An animal cell centrosome has a pair of centrioles, that are each made of nine groups of microtubules.

For an excellent web site on thes visit

http://www.cytochemistry.net/Cell-biology/cilia.htm

pf