NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne ATP Energy Release
Name: Joseph B.
Date: August 2004

Question:
Hi, first of all I would just like to thank you for providing such a usefull resource to all those out there a little unsure of something. Im studying for my first set of yr12 exams and I need to know the specific roles of ATP and ADP in cells. I know that ATP is adenosine tri-phosphate, and ADP is adenosine di-phosphate ie. has one less phosphate.

But does a cell break this bond between the phosphates to release large amounts of energy? and in what situation would this be done. does mitochondria use ADP, and in cellular respiration break down 2ATP and 2Pryuvate to add phosphates to the ADP to create ATP? sorry if that sounds a little confusing, I hope you can help me!!

Dear Joseph:

There are 2 other answers to similar questions from several of our expert molecular biologists, 1 for which I actually provided some input as well:

ATP Energy - http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00072.htm

ATP/ADP Energy Transports - http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00417.htm

I hope that these resources are helpful in understanding your question, too, & I apologize for the delay in responding,

Jeff Buzby, Ph.D.
CHOC Research Institute