NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Protein Digestion
Name: Johny
Date: July 2003

Question:
Protein digestion I would like to ask you whether the followig information is enougfh for a student doing O/L Cambridge syllabus, regarding protien digestion . Pepsin produced by the wall of the stomach splits protien into peptones. When the food reaches the the duodenum the pancreas produces pancreatic juice. The trypsin present in this juice converts protiens and peptones into peptides. The erpsin produced in ileum converts peptides into aminoacids.

I do not know what a student doing O/L Cambridge syllabus means, so I do not know what level of student you are referring. However, this decription is certainly missing too many elements to be considered correct. I can think of four missing enzymes and the use of the work peptones and peptide (polypeptides?). I do not know what "erpsin" enzyme is or pertains to???

Many of these enzymes have active and inactive configurations that need to be activated. Most basic textbooks go into the details you are requesting.