NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Modified DNA
Name: Deanna Koh H.
Date: December 2002

Question:
If DNA is what makes us what we are , does that mean that if our genes are incorrectly modified, we will become horses or even fishes?

Once you are what you are, changing you into a horse or a pig would be next to impossible. It would also require the manipulation of millions of genes. Even though humans and chimps share 99% of our DNA that is 99% of a billion, which is still on the order of a million. For horses and pigs that number is much greater. Anyway, theoretically I suppose during early embryonic development if one were to know where all those genes are and could change them all without destroying the embryo, you could get something like a pig or cow. But we are no where near this yet, nor can I imagine there would be any reason to do this.