NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Children of an Albino
Name: Abbodie
Date: September 2002

Question:
I want to marry an albino girl. Is there an effect to the children in the future?

You and your girlfriend should go together to genetic counseling, and ask your question to a genetic counselor. To learn more about genetic counseling, visit the web page of the National Society of Genetic Counselors at www.nsgc.org, and click on Genetic Counseling and You. To find and contact a genetic counselor near you, click on ResourceLinks. The following information is included among the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) on this web site:

"Q: This is my first visit to a genetic counselor. What can I expect from this visit?

"A: Genetic counselors frequently speak to clients about complex scientific and emotional topics. Usually the issues involve genetic conditions or birth defects or possibilities of those things occurring. The topic you bring to the genetic counseling session may determine the content of the discussion. You can expect the genetic counselor to have specialized knowledge and be able to answer your questions, maybe even to anticipate some of your questions. Often, the genetic counselor acts as an interpreter for the medical information and a support person if the information turns out to be stressful. Your genetic counselor may ask extensive questions about your family history, as this is the way we understand inheritance patterns. It might be helpful for you to use the opportunity of a pending genetic counseling visit to research the health and medical conditions of extended relatives."

I am confident you will appreciate the process of genetic counseling and the information you will learn there. You can expect the genetic counseling session to include detailed questions about any consanguinity (intermarriages between relatives) on each side of the family, and any marriages between your side of the family and her side of the family.

Yours sincerely,
Sarina Kopinsky, MSc, CGC

It depends on the kind of albinism she has. Also, you need to know if you are a carrier. The most common form of albinism is a recessive disorder. This means that your child(ren) would have to inherit the gene from both of you. She has two copies of it-that's why she is albino. You do not have it, so you either have 2 non-affected genes or you could be carrying one affected gene. Even if you are a carrier there is a 25% chance that any child you have would be affected.

Dear Abbodie:

Please see the section entitled, "Genetics of Albinism" on the following web site from The National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation (NOAH):

http://www.albinism.org/publications/what_is_albinism.html

If you are interested, a wealth of other info. on albinism in general is also included in this helpful WWW resource, as referenced in previous answer to "Albino Gene" inquiry, as well ( http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00300.htm ).

I hope that this is useful for you,

Jeff Buzby, Ph.D.
Children's Hospital of Orange County