NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bacteria for Cheese
Name: Julie B.

Question:
What are the specific bacteria that are used to produce different cheeses? Most commercial sites just list general bacterial classifications. My students are interested in genus and species names.

For example, what bacteria is used to help in the production of parmesan cheese?

Most cheeses that are produced with a special kind of bacteria keep exact information on their species from the public, as far as I know. I have not seen more info published than species or genus names. In fact, when I looked up information about this for the Virtual Museum of Bacteria I did not find much. I guess most of this is commercially protected. So I cannot help directly, but I will try to find more on the web, and if there is sufficient I will add an exhibit on 'good bacteria in food' to the Virtual Museum of Bacteria. Give me a few weeks to do that.

Trudy Wassenaar
curator of the Virtual Museum of Bacteria
www.bacteriamuseum.org

I would refer you to the latest issue of Discover magazine (October-November 2001). They have an article about the science of cheese making.