NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Disaccharides and Humans 2001225
Name: Rina M.

Question:
Why is it that humans circulate the monosaccharide, glucose, in their blood, rather than employing a disaccharide like sucrose as a transport sugar, as plants do?

I understand that plants convert this glucose into a disaccharide for the reason that it is less readily metabolized during transport in this form, and normal glucose-utilizing enzymes of the organism cannot break the bond linking the two monosaccharide subunits. The enzymes where the energy is needed are able to break this bond. What I do not quite understand is why humans do not perform this process as well. I know this question probably relates a lot to evolution, but I would appreciate any ideas.

Given that humans and many other animals have active circulatory systems, there is little need for targeting sugars for specific parts of the body. The entire body would rapidly reach equilibrium with the glucose level of the bloodstream, and thus there likely never evolved the need to target specific organs to receive sugars via disaccharides.

Don Yee