NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bakery Bacteria
Name: Roy G.

Question:
Can you recommend a food preservative to combat bacillus lichenformis in bakery products.

Hi Roy,

I am not a specialist on food preservatives. I dug into the literature for you and found a few clues.

Nisin and Subtilin are biological products with an antibacterial activity (biopreservatives) that belong to the family of the lantibiotics. These are active against Bacillus species. Nisin is used as a food additive in meat, cheese and liquids, but I could find no information on the use in bakery products. However lantibiotics are produced by lactic acid bacteria, and these are sometimes used in the production of bakery products. What I do not know is if nisin (a peptide) would survive the baking process.

Trudy Wassenaar