NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Melanocyte Density
Name: Anonymous

Question:
Who has the most melanocytes per square inch of skin, Afro-Americans or Caucasions, due to more melanin?

As I remember I do not think there was a difference in the number of melanocytes in the skin but there was a difference in the amount of melanin they produced...

Peter Faletra Ph.D.
Office of Science
Department of Energy