NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Averages
Name: Jane

Question:
What type of natural selection favors average individuals in the population?

I suspect you want a biological answer, and I do not know that answer. However, there is a general principle in statistics which states that as a population, any population, grows the samples tend toward the mean. There is nothing profound in this principle, because if the population shifts, the mean shifts. None the less it is a statistical principle.