NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Molecular Biology Topics
Name: Kimberly RoseAnn W.

Question:
As an educator the complex but simple processes that encompass the subject of genetics in the high school classroom has raised a few questions. Can you help me find resources or activities to expand upon DNA, protein synthesis, and gene expression? (April 2001)

One of the best activities I know of for gene expression and the roll that genes played is by accessing a number of the web-sites that post karyotypes and have the students do their own karyotype and then find out what translocations, deletions and non-disjunctions are associated with what human anomalies...i.e. trisomy 8 ,9,13, 18 or 22; deletion in the 5p causing cri du chat. Also that women are genetic mosaics because of their bar bady and such cases as XY females that has led to some women losing their Olympic awards because of antiquated absurd rules.

Peter Faletra Ph.D.
Office of Science
Department of Energy