NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Yogurt Bacteria
Name: Brett

Question:
I would like to know how to classify the bacteria found in yogurt. I know most of their names, I just don't know what they are supposed to look like.

Can you Help me?

Cultures (not the blended kind). I have my students gram stain a small bit of the yogurt to see that there are actually living bacteria in it. The bacteria we see are Gram positive (purple) and are cocci (round) in chains ( Streptococcus lactis) and bacilli (rods) in chains or singles (Lactobacillus sp.) These are bacteria that use lactose (milk sugar) for their energy source. The acids they produce as end products of their metabolism (waste) curdle the milk protein and also give the sour taste to the yogurt.